3/19/10

Escape vs Embrace

Been reading Habakkuk, which means 'embrace', so I've been thinking about that word all day. I was also posed with the question- if we could go to heaven where all of our troubles would be gone, we could enjoy everything, be free of sickness and grief- would I be satisfied? I would be able to finally escape all of the things in this world that lets me down or messes with my happiness. I answered with a pretty sure yes. But then the question became, 'would you even need Jesus?' Oh man.
It's easy to think about heaven being the place where we can finally escape this place and be free of everything that sucks- but how often do you think about it being the place where you can finally be with Jesus, face to face? It almost seems less enticing, honestly.
It leads me to see how much I want what God can offer me rather than just wanting God himself, only- and that being way more than enough. Every time something gets difficult, my first response always has something to do with wanting God to remove me from it. And if I'm feeling extra holy (sarcasm)- I'll ask him to help me slavishly endure my terrible time.
It's so natural to want the escape, the relief- but it's so hard to actually want to, and to actually embrace, or take hold of Jesus. In 2 Corinthians 4:17 I wonder if the 'eternal glory that outweighs' is Jesus himself. It doesn't make sense that the outweighing eternal glory is just an everlasting sunny weather and void of problems. Sounds kind of like retirement. We are called co-heirs (Romans 8:17) to rule alongside Jesus- 'to share in his sufferings in order that we may share in his glory'; that doesn't sound at all like what the typical idea of heaven is.
Honestly, I don't actually want to embrace God, I just want to escape hell.  I even need God to help me want him. Think about it.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever read any Tozer? His writing is public domain now.
He wrote things such as this "When the Lord divided Canaan among the tribes of Israel, Levi received no share of the land. God said to him simply, `I am thy part and thine inheritance,' and by those words made him richer than all his brethren, richer than all the kings and rajas who have ever lived in the world. And there is a spiritual principle here, a principle still valid for every priest of the Most High God.

The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately and forever.

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, that so I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, `Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.' Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus' name, Amen."

Pretty awesome.
Your post reminded me of this chapter.
http://www.heavendwellers.com/toz_pog_chapter_1.htm